Re: IML: interference engines

This came up quite awhile back and started quite a range war. Generally, the idea of interference engine generally refers to lesser breeds of cars that were quite probably assembled in the Far East and have engines with about the same displacement and horsepower as the starters in our Imperials. Those engines are definetly interference in the aspect that a jumped timing belt or chain will definetly result in piston to valve interference and the definite probability of engine damage.

The Mopar V-8 that we are referring to being the 318-360-383-400-413-440 here are not interference in the same respect. Typically they will not open the valve far enough or long enough to hit the piston tops unless they have a radical cam with very high lifts and or durations, and pistons with much higher compression height than factory. We had the factory nylon chain in our Barracuda strip and had no damage, the 440 in my Charger also did the same with about 160000 miles on it, which was the reason I got the car for a song since the previous owner had no idea about what a timing chain was let alone how it worked.

Point being, its irrelevant really but dont worry about it...get to the 100000 mile mark and if its going sloppy, spend the 50 bucks or so on a good double row timing chain and enjoy the do it yourself aspect of this hobby. Its really NOT a hard thing to do, changing the chain on a big block Mopar.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe