From: fljoslin@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Fuselage cars

The method you describe is what I have used for valve covers, transmission pans and rear end covers.

Clean both mating surfaces well and use a solvent (brake cleaner) as the final step. Attach the gasket to the "non car" surface using a good silicone sealer. Do not use any sealer on the "car" surface. Attach the cover and torque down. I usually use a 1/4" drive socket for these type of torque applications and go around about ten times at 1/4 turn each until it feels good. The small ratchet reduces the amount of torque that you can apply. I know this is not very "scientific" but I have changed a few trans, rear end and valve covers like this and never had one leak. A good trick to remove any goop from the mating surfaces is to use a wire brush. You need to be very careful if it is on the "car side" so that you don't get anything into delicate areas. However, if you have the valve cover, trans pan, rear end cover off, a wire brush in a drill will make very quick work of any junk and not damage anything. Just make sure you clean it well afterwards. If you do follow the process of not applying any sealer to the car side of the gasket, there should be nothing on the other surface to remove anyway.

I have seen many shops going to the no gasket, silicone sealer only approach. I am not really sure why. I have seen these fail (leak) and it makes it a real B***H to remove. Not only is the cover stuck on such that you risk warping it to remove it, but the bolts can get all gummed up and very difficult to remove and you have goo all over the car side of the surfaces which is tough to remove.