RE: IML: Starter for '66 LeBaron

Dan,

Not a direct answer, but maybe useful to consider - the newer Dodge trucks
use a small direct drive starter; probably the one you are thinking about.
I used one on my 87 pickup, just to see how it did.  Mine was a junkyard
starter, and it did not last long.  Probably because it was a junkyard unit.
But, it is much smaller and lighter, much easier to change, and provides
extra clearance from exhaust pipes.  I did not like the sound - the engine
turns over too quickly, but while it lasted, it started the truck nicely.

If you want to try one, either junkyard or new, ask for a starter for a
Dakota or Durango with the V6 or 318/360.  When you look at it, you'll think
you didn't get the whole starter.  Summit and Mancini sell a "high torque
mini-starter," which may be the same thing.

I went back to the "real" starter.  I like the sound, and have the room on
the truck.  If I ever get back to my A-bodies, I'll use the small starter so
I don't have to pull the engine to change it.

Michael