Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: IML: steering wheel lustre

All plastic can be polished.  There are products
formulated for this - motorcycle people have helmets
and windscreens to do, so that's a good avenue if you
want a fancy product for this that might work fast,
but I'm cheap and of the various things that I've
tried, white toothpaste just works best for me.

This is sometimes tedious work, as the abrasives are
very fine and are not fast acting like many things in
our modern lives.  Pick a small area, put some on a
soft rag and go at it.  Keep in mind that the paste is
merely a carrier for the abrasives that are suspended
in it, and you'll run out of abrasives before your
polishing area goes dry, so keep the paste flowing
more freely than common sense would initially tell you
would be my advice.

I strongly encourage you to remove the wheel for
polishing and ergonomic concerns.  Doing so will allow
you to absentmindedly polish away while watching TV.
The TV turns a 2 hour polishing session into something
that doesn't seem like 2 hours, and you can pick it up
and set it down to rest your thumb muscles too...

This process also works wonders on tail lamps,
returning the most used part to a brilliant,
scratch-free shine that can easily be billed as NOS if
you didn't know better.

-K

--- Chris Strohmeyer <chrisstroh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there something to restore the lustre on my 67
Imperial's steering
wheel/? I cleaned it and now it looks dull.
Thx,
Chris Strohmeyer
67 Imperial Convertible

response will be
shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the
Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to