IML: Shocks for a 55 Imperial ( new stock parts)

IML: Shocks for a 55 Imperial ( new stock parts)

Good news 55 owners,
I have found a shock that is in stock and will be for a long time I hope.  It is a Monroe Sensa-trac part number 58270 ST.  It comes in a 2 pack for 54 bucks and will fit great with a little fabrication.  First step is to drill out the bottom mount holes to fit the Chrysler 3/8 inch bolt. Then you need to take a hacksaw and cut the ends out of the bottom mount bolt holes so that the bolts can move to the very ends of the openings.  The shock mount on the car is a 1/4 inch wider and needs 1/8 inch more on the opening to fit.  Remove the spring from the shock by pulling it down and removing the keeper.  The spring can be removed by hand without special tools but don't let it go, it is a spring.  Now this is the tricky part,  Try and fit the shock into the car if it will bolt up line it up into the holes and bolt it together.  I do not know if all if all Imperials are the same for these years but I had one more step before it would bolt together in my car.  The holes on my A-frames are a Octigone shape rather than round.  The shock would not fit into the car without flatting the sides of the reservoir.  BE CAREFUL AROUND THE WELDED END.  The first shock everything went well.  On the second shock I split the weld and ruined the shock.  The reason I did this was the tube of the shock is much softer than the end cap and the weld.  So make sure when you dent it to flatten it, back it up on a wood surface.  I did this with the first one then use an anvil on the second.  the wood must have stopped the shock some.  So dent the bottom first without hitting the weld.  The tube in that area of the weld will follow.  Then work it toward the tube.  When you try to fit the shock the first time you will know how much.  It only needs it on the sides of the tube that face the bolting tangs on the lower mount.  The shock is normally for the 80 Chevy Malibu.  It has the right stroke and length with a life time warranty.  I am sure that is no good after the fabrication.  This worked for me, the rest can try it but don't blame me it you ruin them.  I warned you.
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaaa

I am still looking for new stock part numbers for the u-joints of this car..  Does anyone know them in the club?

TV dinner still cooling?