From: "Robert M. Soule III"
Subject: Re: IML: rear end questions 1969
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:35:46 -0400

Indeed the instructions in the factory service manual about how to remove the old bearings are ridiculous.  I always just take mine to a local machine shop and they simply press the old bearing and retainer off the axle and press the new bearing and retainer on.  Additionally, I would recommend using good quality bearings.  The cheap bearings made in China will not last long.

I would strongly recommend replacing both the inner and outer seals anytime you have to replace an axle bearing.  The number one reason that these bearings go bad in the first place is that the inner seal fails which allows the differential lubrication to contaminate the axle bearing or bearings.  Unlike GM cars, you don't ever want the differential lubrication to come into contact with the rear axle bearings.  The inner seal might look just fine but if any differential lubrication has gotten to the bearing then it is bad.  I would never do this job without replacing the inner seals!

Strangely enough, I am doing this very job today on a 1966 Chrysler 300 today!

Robert M. Soule, III

My Assortment Of Cars & Junk!

2007 Chattanooga Chrysler. Imperial, & Packard Meet

Join The Tenn. Valley Region Walter P. Chrysler Club

Tribute To My Late Father

Politicians and diapers need to be changed - mostly for the same reason!