From: lecrown60@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Stainless steel top  a 60 imp

Hi All,

I have a Crown sedan with dealer installed (I have the invoice) stainless.  Not welded.
I had a LeBaron sedan, Not welded
I had a LeBaron Southampton hardtop, welded.

Go figure.  Maybe they started out welding them and then decided why are we bothering?  Likely it was a cost cutting measure mid year.

Richard Burgess
'60 Crown sedan

randalpark@xxxxxxx wrote:
Some of them are spot welded. I have personal experience to prove that.

I incorrectly assumed they all were, since my dad and I took apart
three separate cars in a wrecking yard here, back in the '70s to find a
set that we could add to our Custom Sedan. The plan was to install them
when we replaced the cloth headliner. That didn't get done until years
later by yours truly. Eventually, we removed one of these sets by
laboriously breaking each of the welds with a chisel. It took hours. My
father was incredulous. He was a welding engineer, and could not
believe that the company had done this. Of course they were destroyed
in the process, and I did not install them when I replaced the
headliner years later. Due to this thread, I intend to ask him if he
still has those panels. He hasn't thrown anything away in years, so I
believe that he might have them some place. If so, I will photograph
them and report back.

The question has now become why some were and why some were not. It is
true that they are decoration only, but for some reason some cars had
the panels spot welded in place under the trim. When this thread ran a
few years back some members reported that they had seen both situations.

Larry Blomberg from our friendly nation "down under" has reported that
his LeBarons don't have spot welded panels. Since they were standard on
LeBarons, that meant that they were installed at the factory without
the spot welds. This disproved the theory that factory installed panels
were spot welded, and after market ones were not. All '60 LeBarons came
with the panels, so they were all factory installed.

I am tempted to take the roof on my own '60 LeBaron apart to see how
its panels are fastened. I have lots of other car projects to do and I
don't wish to disturb that head liner at this time. I think I would
have to in order to properly remove the Landau trim. Someday that rear
window roof insert needs to be fixed, so there may be a reason to do
all of this then. It would be easier if someone else who has seem the
spot welded panels would chime in.

Paul W.