Re: IML: Another Budd Brake Question.

Subject: IML: Another Budd brake question
From: nicholasadamo@xxxxxxx

I've got a 67 Chrysler 300 with the Budd disc brakes. My car's in
a shop undergoing an extensive mechanical restoration. I replaced
the rotors with repos from DuraBrake, found some new D-10 pads,
 I'm expecting a new master cylinder and brake booster to arrive any day.

I had a new passenger side caliper installed about 2 years ago because
it was leaking. The driver's side was leaking too, and we couldn't find
a new one using any of our sources, so it was re-built about a year and
a half ago. The driver's side caliper is leaking again!

Anyone know of a source for a new driver's side caliper for the Budd disc brakes?

I saw some posts on the IMP mailing list about some companies that
will sleeve the calipers with stainless steel. I told my mechanic about
that and he said it would probably be expensive and take awhile
because of the turn-around time. If no new calipers are available,
does anyone know how much they charge to re-sleeve??

  www.calipersonline.com
Nice people, call or e-mail. A caliper's $190, sleeved. Make sure you get them a core back, though - core charge is $200. If my car wasn't now in the shed on indefinite hold due to various non-Imperial disasters in my life, it would have new calipers from them by now.

I'd also strongly suggest switching over to DOT 5 fluid - it'll keep internal brake rusting under control.

      -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT