Re: IML: Why no Reveal the Reserve Price?

Re: IML: Why no Reveal the Reserve Price?

The reserve price on E-Bay is basically the LEAST you will accept.  The reason people don't want to let their reserve price be known is that they may get more as bidding may pass the reserve price, but often they don't know by how much.  I got my 1965 Crown on E-Bay that way.  I had set a limit that was below the reserve and no one outbid me.  During the last minute of the auction, I put in two more bids that I hoped would reach the reserve price, but, also be an amount I was willing to pay.  Luckily, I hit both.

Also, sometimes, a reserve price is set, but the seller is actually willing to take a little less.  As you said, they don't want to sell it for $37.00, but, may take less than $5,000.00, although that's what they've set the reserve at.  You may have bid up to $4,800.00 with a set reserve at $5,000.00, but the seller may be willing to take $4,500.00, and, if you're the highest bidder, accept it.  The reserve mainly says that they are not obligated to sell and you are not obligated to buy until the reserve is reached.

I have seen some sellers put the reserve right in their ad, but not too many.

I hope this helps,

Timothy Callaway
1965 Crown 4-door

See what's free at AOL.com.