Re: IML: Why no Reveal the Reserve Price?

Re: IML: Why no Reveal the Reserve Price?

What's the big deal about concealing a reserve price on an Ebay car auction? In asking that question, I'm getting the feeling there's an easy answer that I just haven't figured out. I'll take the risk of sounding stupid, however (it's familiar territory) and take the plunge:

My Opinion:
Setting a reserve price and then starting the bid low gets people to start bidding and gets them "in the game". Once they are in the game they are more likely to keep playing. If you listed a nice Imperial with a starting bid on 10k dollars I would skip right over it and continue to look for a cheap one. If you start the bidding low and I get in on the game I will continue to play until I can't afford to play anymore or I win. If I think I am close to the reserve price I am liable to keep bidding against myself to reach the reserve on an item even though I wouldn't have used the buy it now feature to get the item at the same price.

Ebay says "Why have a reserve price? Many sellers have found that too high a starting price discourages interest in their item, while an attractively low starting price makes them vulnerable to selling at an unsatisfactorily low price. A reserve price helps with this."