IML: Why no Reveal the Reserve Price?

Hey Imps:

What's the big deal about concealing a reserve price on an Ebay car auction? In asking that question, I'm getting the feeling there's an easy answer that I just haven't figured out. I'll take the risk of sounding stupid, however (it's familiar territory) and take the plunge:

I'm considering selling my "other-than-Imperial" (Imperial being the standard by which all other vehicles must be measured) vehicle on Ebay, and want to set the reserve at some number that would protect me from absolutely giving it away, but a number that is still low. Sometimes I see ads that "reveal" the reserve, though most do not. I both want the car to sell and to protect myself against selling the car for $37 because of a fluke. I don't see any problem with revealing my reserve, but I'm worried I'm missing something. I want potential buyers to know that it's an affordable auction, that they can invest some time and effort into investigating the car and not worry about a reserve being throgh the roof.

If there's a simple answer to my question, my simple mind would appreciate some input.

Thanks:

Patrick Moore
Covington, Louisiana
'58 Southampton project (very much NOT for sale!)
'69 Electra convertible (very sadly heading for the auction block)