IML: Dead Imperial

I don't see any way that hitting the carb could cause a short.  Your roomate did noting wrong.  I would check the bulk head connector and fusable link.  If it has a fusable link.  Just make sure all grounds are good.  Take a tester and make sure that you have juice from the battery to the bulk head then check the inside.  If you have a light tester also check the battery and make sure it is good.  You said you were using the Volvo to jump it and start the car.  Well some times the battery will not start a car on its own and will start with a jump.  You should check the battery with a load tester.  Start where there is know juice and work out from there.  You will find out where it stops then.