Re: IML: 60 fuel sender unit

Tom:  If the fuel sender wire was touching the car body anywhere along the path or at the tank, it would show full.  Did you have the dashpanel out of the car anytime during this process?  It sounds like a wire is on the wrong terminal on the back of your instruments or is touching something.  I would be extremely careful diagnosing and fixing this.  A dead short to ground on a gauge is not a good thing.  Others on here have warned of literally smoking their gauges under such conditions.  I had it happen to me with oil gauge on my 63.
If you know how to use a DVM, get it out and check the resistance from each gauge wire to ground.  Remove the color coded wire that leaves the gauge and goes to its respective sending unit.  Test the loose fitting to ground.  With car cold and motor not on, the temp and oil wires should be pretty high; around 60-80 ohms.  With three gallons in tank, the fuel wire should be like 30 or 40.  The lower the ohms, the higher the deflection of the gauge needle.  If you are getting less than 5 ohms on any of these, there is a short or wiring error somewhere.  If this is greek to you, find someone to help before applying power to your ignition or accessory circuit.  Contact me off list if you want more details.  --Tom in Tucson

Tom Scott <shelbyguy@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I got my rebuilt fuel sender for my 60 Crown back last night and I
just got finished installing it. Prior to the rebuild, my fuel gauge
remained on E at all times. The oil pressure gauge worked as did the
temperature and ammeter gauges. Now, after installing the rebuilt fuel
sender, the fuel gauge registers FULL even though I know there is only 3
gallons in the tank, the temp gauge pegged at H as did the oil pressure
gauge. Anybody have any ideas what happened?
Thanx
Tom
60 4dr Crown Southampton.