From: gearhead@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 19 May 2007 3:42 PM
Subject: IML: Door Won't Shut: 1960-1966 Door Latch Assemblies

On the door latches for the 1960-1966 Imperials, there is a star wheel on the forward (inside) part of the latch that the Lever-Detent Actuator rides against to hold the latch in the closed position. This star wheel is adjacent to the Lever-Detent Actuator (K) in this FSM photo, http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/23-032.htm

Yesterday, I took the latch out of the driver's door on my '64 Crown Coupe. I found a couple of things that I believe causes the latch to do the much discussed "door won't latch" syndrome for the Imperials of these years.

I noted that the assembly that comprises of this star wheel on one side of the latch and the latch wheel that fits into the door jamb striker plate had a lot of lateral play. After moving the various components in their range of motion, I saw that the riding surface of the Lever-Detent Actuator had gouged a trough on each of the six star 'fingers' of the adjacent star wheel. Instead of a smooth motion of this lever cinching down into the star wheel crotch, I caught a glimpse of it jambing up, mid-finger so to speak, preventing full rotation of the latch wheel to lock closed the door.

The Aha! light went off (on?) upstairs and I pressed down in a vise the cup that captures this wheel assembly taking a sizeable amount of play out of the mix. This causes the lever to ride in alignment with each star finger. Then, I filed down each of the six star fingers to take out the trough ridge and to a lesser extent the deformed crotch part that the lever notches into to hold the door solidly closed. This work fixed the trouble, the door closes every time That little star wheel holds it all closed and seems to take the brunt of the wear.

Now here is the question that could solve the latch issue. Does anyone make, sell, or fabricate these star wheels? It appears that they can be pressed out/in for replacement.

Eric
1964 Crown Coupe