Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Strange Beast Sighted Prowling North Portland

The power assist went out on my 60 probably about 14 years ago. It had been in the body shop for a few months previously. One day, I was taking it over to get a new headliner installed. I almost missed the entrance & jammed on the brakes. Wasn't I surprised that the power assist came back after the panic stop. I've never had any further problem.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenyon Wills" <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:17 PM

My solution was to ship to Karp's in San Jose and have
it rebuilt.

They seem to have a stranglehold on the rebuild
components, and will not sell parts seperate for
"liability reasons", but stand ready to do a complete
redo for you.

There is a diaphram in there that us usually torn.

I've just swallowed hard and bought rebuilds on the 4
that I've faced.  $250 or so.

-K

--- JIM LORENZEN <jdlpdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Gang -
Well, my '60 at last has brakes (sort of) and while
it is great to be able to move the car without the
neighbor watching her fence, there is a slight
hic-up in my plans.  Even though the brake light
switch has come back to life, one major component
has not:  The Power Brake Booster.  So this evening
I'm curled up with the FSM trying to figure out how
to get it back to life.  It is the Oval Metal Type
as opposed to the bellows.   It states in the
troubleshooting section that loss of power assist
can be caused by the car sitting in storage for a
long period of time and I guess 13 years would
qualify.
Does anyone have some suggestions about what to do
or not to do when tearing into one of these units?
The FSM gives some pretty good directions but any
additional help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim L. in OR
    '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
    '62 Crown 4dr Southampton