IML: It worked yesterday...

Happy Memorial Day fellow IML members!

I took my ’55 out for a drive this morning and discovered that my gas gauge is no longer working.  It was buried all the way down past “E”.  I drove at top speed to the Mobil and topped her off with 13.0 gallons of 93 octane, hoping this would jar loose a sticky sending unit float- no go (my mileage on this last Tank was 11 mpg, around average).  The gauge still read E.  I found this strange because I had the car out for several trips yesterday and the gauge was working fine.

I replaced the sending unit after I bought the car- early in ’05- and it has worked fine since.  Is it possible this sending unit “sank”, or should I be looking elsewhere for the cause?

Also, a fellow motorist pointed out to me that my reverse lights are always on.  I move the shifter around and ended up just removing these bulbs.  They worked fine yesterday.

I have spent a lot of time getting everything 100% operational on my Imperial since I bought her- radio, windows, light switch, cigar lighter- and I would like to keep everything fully operational.  Any help/guidance/tips on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Poltrock

’55 sedan

42k miles