IML: '60 Imperial Dome Light stays on

From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Robert Wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Last year I wrote to the list for help with regard to an annoying >problem
>with the interior dome-light of my 1960 Crown.
>For some reason the light stayed on at half power with the doors >closed,
>the light was shining at full power with a door open or when the switch
>was set into the 'on' position.
>I never found the real reason, until yesterday..
>
>The problem was cured last October by using a new 1004 bulb in the
>dome-light, very strange indeed..
>Until yesterday morning the problem came up again! Of course I thought >to
>be smart and replaced the bulb immediately for another one.
>However, no result this time.
>
>I started thinking what has happened before the dome light stayed on
>forever again..
>The only thing I could remember that a passenger has take ride with me >in
>the car. So the front passenger door was opened, could it be that....
>
>I opened the passenger front door, and YES the interior dome light >that
>was still on at half power or so finally stopped shining!!
>So this must have something to do with the wiring harness that is >running
>through the front passenger door. I was bending the bundle of wires a
>little  and suddenly the dome light came on again at half power!!
>
>I thought : @#@$%)#@~!, and started bending the wires again, however
>without  any result this time. The light stays on at half power.
>
>It must have something to do with the wires that running through the >front
>passenger door. But I don't see the point here : those wires are for >the
>electric window motor and the electric power door lock switch.
>So how could these wires affect my interior dome light then.
>
>I am puzzled..anyone got a clue what is wrong here?
>And how to determine which wire is causing all the trouble, cutting >them
>one by one to see when the light goes out doesn't seem a smart way if >you
>ask me.
>>
>I hope somebody have the answer for me.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Robert

Robert;

The most likely cause of the problem is the door switch associated with that passenger door. The way the circuit works is that there is voltage always present at the lamp and lamp socket. When a door is opened, the switch at the door grounds the lamp and causes it to light up. These switches tend to get flaky with age and wear. The two front door switches both receive more use that either of the rear doors.

In order for the dome lamp to come on due to another cause the wire strands of the ground side wire of the lamp would have to be exposed and also touch another wire which would also have to have exposed wire strands. I don't think it would be too likely that two wires would have exposed wire strands directly next to each other to provide a short circuit path.

The door switch grounding wire does not enter the door as part of any wires going to the window lifts or door locks. The wire gets grounded by a switch when the door is opened. The switch is mounted on the kickpanel part of the body or the center pillar area of the body which faces rearward toward the front face of the door being opened. It appears as a small metal button or pin with a rounded head. When the door is opened the switch pin pops rearward and the rounded head can be clearly seen. If you push the pin back in by hand it should cause the dome lamp to go off. If it doesn't the switch is defective unless there is a short somewhere in the kickpanel area or in the center pillar area if a rear door is involved.

I hope this helps.

Joe Strickland