Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: IML: '60 Imperial Dome Light stays on

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Strickland" <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:40 PM
Subject: IML: '60 Imperial Dome Light stays on

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your answer, I found it very informative!
But I have to point out that the interior dome light that is mounted to the headliner is
activated by the two swiches that are controlled by the two REAR doors.
I have a four door hardtop you see?
So the two switches of the front doors don't do anything when it comes to switch the dome light on
or off. Those two switches are controlling the map light.

When I wiggle around with the wiring harness of the front passenger door, it affected the dome light! I was able to get it out, but when I wiggled the wiring again the lite came on again and stayed on until now (however to protect the battery from running flat I have removed the bulb). So this weekend I will have a look at the wiring of the front passenger door to see if a hot wire is grounded as Paul Wentink suggested.

Allthough I have no doubts about Pauls knowledge when it comes to car and 1960 Imps in particular, it is very strange that everything in the rear door is still working then. The windowmotor is running in both directions and the power lock doorswitch is OK too, and that is not what one expects if a hot wire is grounded..
Looks like I have a puzzle on my hand this coming weekend!

Robert

Robert;

The most likely cause of the problem is the door switch associated with that passenger door. The way the circuit works is that there is voltage always present at the lamp and lamp socket. When a door is opened, the switch at the door grounds the lamp and causes it to light up. These switches tend to get flaky with age and wear. The two front door switches both receive more use that either of the rear doors.

In order for the dome lamp to come on due to another cause the wire strands of the ground side wire of the lamp would have to be exposed and also touch another wire which would also have to have exposed wire strands. I don't think it would be too likely that two wires would have exposed wire strands directly next to each other to provide a short circuit path.

The door switch grounding wire does not enter the door as part of any wires going to the window lifts or door locks. The wire gets grounded by a switch when the door is opened. The switch is mounted on the kickpanel part of the body or the center pillar area of the body which faces rearward toward the front face of the door being opened. It appears as a small metal button or pin with a rounded head. When the door is opened the switch pin pops rearward and the rounded head can be clearly seen. If you push the pin back in by hand it should cause the dome lamp to go off. If it doesn't the switch is defective unless there is a short somewhere in the kickpanel area or in the center pillar area if a rear door is involved.

I hope this helps.

Joe Strickland