Re: IML: Best oil for 100K mi. '59 413

This subject has surfaced before.After disassembly of many high-mileage engines, (Chrysler) it seems most of the goo, sludge, mung, or what ever you want to call it, is mostly upper end. The valve covers, heads and lifter area.The older engines that use the road draft tube, are worse, since sufficient road speed, and high engine temps were necessary to evacuate the crank-case of nasty by-products of combustion.By flushing, or using a lesser viscosity oil to "Cleanse" the engine, may lead to engine failure.Don't foreget all that junk goes in the oil pump pick-up strainer, which reduces oil flow to the engine.This is truly a"Damned if you do, Damned if you don't" kind of topic. Some have had luck flushing, but we don't do it, as we have seen engine failures afterwards.For summer time a SAE30 would be fine.If it's running OK, then just change oil and go, the most important thing is actually getting the engine up to temp, for several hours.Thats when you can change oil, and g et the rubbish out, a little at a time.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
I have followed the threads on this question.
I feel that if there is lots of slugde in the engine you should try to get it out. Most of it will probably be in the oil pan. Can you remove the oil pan and clean it? Also clean under the intake manifold.
I have used the engine cleaning solutions (basically kerosine) and they do clean the engine. You must make sure that you do not run the engine too long or with any load. At idle for 5 min works.

Clean oil is the best solvent for sludge. Frequent oil changes with a good detergent oil should really help.

Good luck