From: Bogart3147@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 1965 Auto Pilot dash switch
That's a good question.  I do know that the knob on the dash is  supposed to
pull out as that is how the system knows when you've set it, but I don't know
if it's supposed to spin freely.  I have to repair my speedo, so  my
Auto-Pilot only works at the lowest setting, so I haven't played with it much. My guess would be that to change your current setting, push the knob in, change the setting, then pull it back out to engage the new setting. Timothy 1965 Crown 4-door
After having my dash apart for the better of two years I can't recall how
the auto pilot switch on the dash board re-assembles. It has three pieces, the
round fat washer with the two prongs, then the large knob that matches the
others, and then the center button that pulls out. All three pieces have the
allen screw.  If I tighten the fat spacer allen screw low on the shaft  so
that it turns the dial then the center shaft will not move in or out, if I don't
tighten it, the the dial behind the dash spins freely on it's own when  the
know pops out.... Does anyone know how this mechanisim is supposed to work
in the first place?  Is the larger knob even supposed to  pop out?  I have
never used it, but when driving around I know that it is working as far as speed control works, I can feel the back pressure in the accelerator, which changes
as I fidle with the dial.....  Have I  forgotten a part, or am I missing
something?    Thanks for any help       Eric