Re: IML: '62 Speedometer off by 10 mph

From: "Graham Quimby" <ghquimby@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: 62 Speedometer off by 10 mph

Fellow Imperialists,

The speedometer on my 62 Crown seems to be off by 10 mph at all speeds
(except 0).  I have tested it at highway speeds (between 50 to 70 mph)
and it is consistently 10 mph faster than the actual speed I'm
traveling.  The transmission and real axle are original.  I have
P235/75R15 radials. I've heard that a different tooth speedometer pinion
may fix the problem since I have radial tires. I wanted to double check
with the experts on the list what size pinion I should order.

Thanks,
Graham Quimby
1962 Caramel Crown 2 door Hardtop

A constant 10mph error seems to be considered well within acceptable parameters by American (at least, not much foreign car experience) manufacturers even today, much less 40 or more years ago. My '69 Crown reads a constant 5mph over (I test with those police RADAR signs - I figure what the police *think* is right, is more important than what might *actually* be right), as does my '95 Dakota. IIRC, my '62 Crown was pretty accurate, but my brother's '63 Falcon reads about 5mph fast at 20mph, and by the time it's going 60mph, it's reading about 15mph fast. OTOH, my '67 Polara seems dead accurate, though I haven't found a sign I can test with for higher speeds, yet.

I don't know how much success you'll have, but I admire your pursuit of perfection.

        -Kle
'69 Crown 4DHT (on the bench)