IML: Plymouth a resounding success

Hi Folks,

I have come to the conclusion that the buried Plymouth was a resounding success.  As a publicity stunt, generating nationwide publicity for Tulsa, it was a monumental achievement for one car.  The car generated hundreds of thousands more dollars for Tulsa then the monetary worth of the car ever could have.  That, and it did it twice!

It was never even so much about the car.  I think it was about the fun everyone had in 1957 loading it up and burying it, and in 2007 digging it up.  The speculation, anticipation, all of the ups and downs and drama were worth the cost of a car.

As amazing as it seems, my aunt Flossie did a pretty good job of preserving her 1965 Impala and she did it without 60 gallons of cosmoline.  In 1957 they didn't even know if there was going to be a Tulsa in 2007, thus the reason for burying the car.  Preservation of a car may have been the motive, but it's not where the value of the events lie.  This puts into perspective how wonderful it is that any of us have 50 year old cars at all.  After seeing the Plymouth, I look at my 1960 Imperial and think how fortunate I am to have it.  Despite the nearly unbearable stress and financial commitment that it has taken to save it.  However, it's still here after a long period when nobody wanted it.

Let the Plymouth be a reminder to appreciate our Imperials and thank all the people who did preserve these cars.  When it come down to it, the rotting remains of the time capsule car can always be preserved as it is, a reminder to us of how times have changed and the people involved.  Did we really want to see sombody driving it to a cruise-in?

Richard Burgess
1960 Crown sedan

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.