Re: IML: '62 brake questions

From: Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Paul W. and his '56 and '65 Imperials & Maintenance

I spent some time yesterday looking through the Repair section of the
Imperial Club's information.  I have been wanting to get my '62 on the
road again and brakes are the primary consideration.  I found a wealth
of information on the 3-Point/Total Contact brake systems in the 1960
Service Reference Book, Session 153.  This has greater detail than
anything else I have seen on the '60-62 models.  Based on the good
information there, I believe I will try once more to repair the existing
system before trying to convert to disc brakes.  It would certainly be
cheaper and less trouble to do.

A question for the group - do you think it would be best to replace all
of the steel brake line tubes?

Probably a good idea, especially if it's been sitting, or the lines are rusty.

Thanks a million to all those who have had a part in gathering this
wealth of service information.  The number of people experienced in
dealing with the older brake systems diminishes each year.  Most current
mechanics have never even seen any of these and would likely not be able
to work on the system without causing additional problems.

If you're in the Rhode Island area, I can hook you up with two seperate mechanics who know those systems.

One of them is doing over the brakes in my new '67 Polara right now - it stopped fine, but I was getting intermittant squeaking, and had it checked. The rears had worn holes *right through the braking surface of the drums*, and the fronts were mighty thin. Obviosly, previous owners were playing games to put off the inevitable. Won't be cheap, but I'm sure glad I got them checked. The same guy did all the brake work on my '62 Crown, back in the day.

      -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT (in the wings)