IML: Speedo Cable

I had a speedo cable, specifically the transmission to Auto-Pilot cable, that was hanging loose from the Auto-Pilot end when I bought my '64. It appeared that a previous owner tried to remove this cable but for some reason it wouldn't come out of the jacket so they left it detached.

I disconnected the jacket at the transmission end allowing this part of the cable jacket that sits nearest the exhaust crossover pipe to straighten out, which finally allowed the cable to be pulled out. That lower part of the cable had baked solid making it inflexible and preventing it from being pulled past the bend in the jacket where it turns up to the Auto-Pilot unit. I soaked the cable in some hot water and restored it's flexibility by working out the hardened lube by hand. I put a thin coat of grease on it and reinstalled. I'm not sure that a grease lube is best for this part, but it's what I had readily available.

I have an idea that the location near the exhaust crossover pipe overheats this part and is the cause for a lot of our Imperial speedo bounce. Restoring flexibility to the cable made for a steady working speedometer in my Crown Coupe.

Eric
Lebanon, Oregon