IML: 61 Imperial beats 59 Caddy

John;

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip and the events and cars with us all. I certainly would have liked being there with you.

I agree that the '61 Imperial has a much more integrated look than a '59 Caddy. In '57 when the new body style Imperial was introduced it really put the Caddys at the time to shame too. In my opinion the cars were more like 40-50 years ahead of their time in styling. I liked the interiors of the '57-'60 Imperials better than the '61-'63 models. The round gauge clusters just look more appealing than a rectangular shape to me. I always thought the Imperial interior designers were caving in to the Caddy dash design when they did the later Imperials. Of course each style has its pluses and minuses. The Chryslers of the '60-'62 era had that fantastic 1/4 dome shaped instrument cluster that always drew quite a lot of attention too.

Imperials of the Exner era, especially the '57-'63 models had various bumper designs, both front and rear. I liked the '59 rear bumper the best along with the '60 front bumper as having the most integral shape to fit with the overall styling. I do like the separated headlight pods on the '61-'63 models, but thought the '58 and '60 front ends were quite good looking.

The fins that the Imperials had from '56-'61 were the most integral shaped fins in production Imperials. The '62-'63 models were somewhat disappointing with shaved off fins. Don't get me wrong, I like my '62, but would rather have had a '60 or '61 if circumstances had permitted.

The few times I have had my '62 on the road it has also gathered many stares and even some road wandering that nearly caused some accidents. These cars are so rare that most young people don't even know what they are. The few who hazard a guess usually think they are Caddys. The older generation like myself usually know what they are and give a broad smile and a thumbs up!

I'm sure glad that you were able to drive your Imperial to the event, thereby delighting many people along the way! Keep up the good work!

Joe S.