Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: IML: '62 Fuel tank question, rear doors & gas tank sending unit connections

I believe the 62 is the same as the 60/61. If so the drain plug is towards the front of the tank in the center. You'll need an allen wrench (either 3/16 or 7/32, don't remember which). You'll also need an o ring when you replace the plug unless the one on the plug is ok.
Tom
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Strickland" <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:12 AM

The service manual mentions draining the fuel tank if water or contaminants are found/suspected. Someone mentioned doing this using a factory provided drain plug. I don't remember what year was being discussed. Would the '62 series have this plug? I would guess it would be located at the leading edge of the fuel tank in the center, right?

I hate getting under the car any more than necessary at 64!

I did have success with lubricating my '62 model's rear door latches. Both rear doors had become stubborn to open. I used WD-40 as suggested and it worked wonders!

On corroded connectors, it may be possible to re-plate the male contact of a fuel tank wire connector (one inside the trunk compartment) as someone recently described cleaning the contact of corrosion. Make sure the contact surfaces are as clean as possible first use fine emery paper to help in this.) Using a soldering iron or gun and either tin-lead solder or tin-silver solder, (rosin core type only!) heat the contact and apply new solder to both sides of the contact. While the contact is still hot with liquid solder, wipe it on a suitable old rag or even a folded paper towel to remove excess solder. Do not use any solder that has an acid flux or paste in it! This will leave the contact bright and shiny. Silver even when black to the eye still has excellent electrical properties. The female contact would have to be replaced if plugging and unplugging several times did not clean up the contact surface. OEM contacts should still be available from various sources. When replacing contacts, I always crimp and then solder the wire strands to the contact to guarantee a good connection.

As a final measure after cleaning and/or replacing contacts, put some clear silicone grease inside the receptacle contact housing and on the male contact before reassembly. The grease will help prevent corrosion in the future.

Joe S.