From: "Rob van der Es"
Subject: Re: IML: LPG Conversion
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:30:27 +0200

Hello Eric,

Nice to see that you are interested in LPG conversions too.
Funny to notice that the price for LPG in your
area is amost the same as in my place in the
Netherlands.
I have filled my tank today and the actual price at the moment here is $1.99.
The price of petrol triples that..

The drop in fuel economy was 10 % in my case,
and I didn't notice a power drop.
I have used parts that should be available too in the US.

The convertor is made by OMVL, an Italian
company (most LPG convertor factories are in
Italy actually), I have used type R90/E big
block version (up to 8 litres).

The gas intake ring on the carby comes from
Australia and is made by SprintGas, it fits
perfectly on an Edelbrock carb or a Carter.

You are right as far as the compression ratio
is concerned, due to the high octane rate of
LPG (typical 110 in my country) you can go has
high as 12:1 without the risk of pinging.

You can also advance the ignition a lot, I have
set mine to 12.5 degrees BTDC at the moment but
got even better results with an advance of 14
degrees BTDC! However, since I run a dual fuel
setup I risk pinging then when switching to
petrol in the case that I run out of LPG.

To be safe in that situation I have set it to 12.5 degrees BTDC.

Robert
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric"
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:03 PM
Subject: IML: LPG Conversion

> LPG conversions have interested me in the
> past. It's about $1.99 a gallon in my area,
> whereas premium petrol is currently running
> $3.16. Depending on the gas metering valve,
> it's reported that a 10-20% drop in fuel
> efficiency can be expected.
> I'm to the thought that if one ups the
> compression ratio that this can offset this
> decrease in efficiency. I've read that the
> 105-110 octane that LPG provides has a
> corelation to about a 12:1 compression ratio,
> which is an easy swap to aftermarket HP
> pistons in a 440.
> LPG also responds to recurving the ignition
> advance but I'm not sure if a slower or
> faster advance is preferable.
> Rob, have you tried any of these alterations to your motor?
>
> Eric
> 1964 Crown Coupe
> response will be shared with everyone.
> Private messages (and attachments) for the

This message was sent to you by the Imperial
Mailing List. Please reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response