IML: Mopar Action Magazine A-Arm Tech Tip, Adjusters, and Tire Stuff

IML: Mopar Action Magazine A-Arm Tech Tip, Adjusters, and Tire Stuff

Rob, A few notes about your low rider topic.
It are radials and the dimensions are 235/70 R15.
I don't know how this compares to the original tyres that were used in the
sixties?
************************
If you have 70 series tires, they would be a little shorter than a 75 series tire, 5% infact. The formula is 70% of tire width so your tires are 70% of 235mm in profile thickness. I haven't kept up on the replies but 75% of 235mm on a 235/75/15 tire would be about 8.75mm taller than a 235/70/15 tire. Tires from the 60's were pretty tall, and really narrow by comparison.

Are those adjusters easy to turn normally? In my FSM is stated that if more
then 200 foot pounds of torque is reguired to turn them then the bolts and
anchors should be replaced..
No, they aren't easy unless you have a long levering bar, or cheater bar as they are called here. I used a big thick PVC pipe on the end of my big crescent wrench and it worked fine. The info on this list is extremely helpful, kudos go out to our fellow Imperial list members with their excellent replies. One important note is to adjust the adjuster with the tire off the ground.

Btw, can you give me the name and issue number of that Mopar magazine you
just read with regard to this subject.
I just saw the magazine at the store and bought it. It is this month's Mopar Action magazine, August 2007. Page 91 shows the 'Tech Tip' for their story regarding a '72 Plymouth Road Runner lower A-arm bushing procedure. I'm not sure that the A-arm torsion bar opening is the same size between all body series across the Mopar line, but I have an idea they are. With that caveat, the article goes on to say that you drop a couple of flat washers of 1.25 (1-1/4) inch outside diameter size into the sleeve and it appears he means at the end with the lip on it.. Chisel through the lip of the sleeve in 4 or 5 spots and bend back the sleeve lip segments so as to capture the washers you just dropped in. Then take the assembly to a press or vise of your choosing, the author used a long 1/2'' drive rachet extention and pressed, or hammered, the bushing out. Thus, the washers give the bushing a surface to press against whereas the bushing sleeve doesn't provide much of a surface to get a grip on.

Eric
1964 Crown Coupe