IML: Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Folks,

Recently I was looking through a book titled Imperial Photo Album 1964-1968, or something like that, and I became curious as to where the pictures were shot.

For those of you who haven't seen this book, it has a lot of black & white photos of Imperials from 1964 to 1968.  Some of these are obviously studio shots, but a large number show Imperials driving around suburban neighborhoods or parked at gas stations (one with an A&P in the background).  The shots look very real and unstaged, for the most part.

Anyway, after careful scrutiny of some road signs in a corner of one of the pictures and with the help of Mapquest I was able to discover that most of these shots were taken in the neighborhood of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, which is a suburb of Detroit.

Well, big deal you say.  Yeah, it is kind of trivial but it looks to me as if the photo crew just grabbed a car and drove down the street to take these pictures.  I don't think this neighborhood is that far away from the Imperial plant in Detroit.

Anybody familiar with Grosse Pointe?  I wonder how it's changed since these photos were taken.

Mark M