Re: IML: Chrysler History

Bob,

I wonder whether WPC's gift of I-F to his mistress could be construed in a different light, he was very astute and America in general was a far more straight laced than it is today, many potential Chrysler customers would have thought twice before buying a car from a man who flaunted his mistress.... or even had a mistress!

A gift of 2 Imperials would have been far easier to attribute to WPC whilst a gift fo 2 I-F might have come from anywhere!

Also in the eyes of the mistress the I-F might appear more glamorous, and have a higher percieved value than a gift of his own products, but bearing in mind the date of 1930 in the height of the depression WPC no doubt was able to negotiate a very favourable deal.

I am sure he had no difficulty in persuading his family to "only" have Imperials, a quick comparision would show how much more efficent the Imperial engine is and that the Imperial has better performance than an I-F.

Not to mention the publicity the company would benefit from the pictures in the press of the Chrysler family attending social functions.

Regards

Nigel Plant

1929 L*80 Convertible Coupe by Locke