Re: IML: A/C ReVamp

mmonsher@xxxxxxx wrote:
let's hear from the AC experts. Is it an easy conversion from R12 to 134a?  FOR THE CHRYSLERS 440 WITH the twin piston compressor/?
I'm not an A/C "expert."  I did, however, convert my '71 Imperial (with a 440 and RV-2 twin piston compressor) to use R-134a.

I bought a kit from WalMart for about $35.00.  I used a vacuum pump to evaporate the system and make sure there were no leaks.

The kit included the necessary fittings, oil charge, and R-134a.

I made the conversion in 1999.  The A/C still works perfectly and blows cold air between 35 and 40 degrees from the dash vents.

There is a small leak in the system, so I do have to add a can or two of R-134a each year.  I buy it by the case at Sam's Club for about $2.25 per can.

The small leak has nothing to do with the conversion to R-134a.  I could track it down and fix it, but the cost vs. convenience factor has not tipped the scale enough to encourage me to do so.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair - http://home.comcast.net/~imperial1971/

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!
http://home.comcast.net/~imperial1971/Bookshelf.html

My Collection of Imperials - http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan