Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: IML: A-arm Bushings and Torsion Bar Adjustment

Hi Robert,

I'm absolutely delighted that this worked out so well! I do wonder about the ease of adjustment though. I don't know the answer to this, but someone on the list will. Is there supposed to be some kind of lock washer or such to hold the adjustment once it's made? Since it was so easy to adjust, I just wondered if after hitting a pothole or a patch of rough road, it might un-adjust? Just a thought off the top of my head. Never the less, I'm glad this story had a happy ending - and just in time for good weather too!

Enjoy your '60, We are entering a patch of warm and dry weather in Oregon too, so you know I'm going to be having my '60 out on the road as well.

Jim L. in OR
   '60 Crown 4dr Southampton
   '62 Crown 4dr Southampton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob van der Es" <R.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:26 PM

Hello to all of you that helped me with the mysterous lowered 1960 Imperial !

Today I was finally able to have a look at the car, since it was dry after 2 weeks of rain...

After the jacking the car up with the frontwheels from the ground and securing the frame with axle stands, I closely examinend the lower front suspension arm and especially the bushing of the arm. Everything looks great to me, then I had a look at the rear crossmember : you know, where the torsionbar anchors are located.

This section was OK too, so I thought what the heck: lets try to turn those adjusters!

I was warned by a couple members not to strip the fine threads of the bolts and the swivels since they normally are very dificult turn.

Guess what ? They were both quite easy to turn, ok I needed a large bar for my socket to turn those adjuster bolts but was still able to turn them with one hand only!

I turned both of them 4 turns clockwise (turned them 'in' so to speak), I lowered the car again to check my work and surprise, surprise the front end was 2 inches higher now! I decided that I was still lacking 2 inches of ground play in the front so I jacked up the car again and gave those adjusters another 4 turns .

And after 8 turns on both adjusters the car has now the right front end ride height! I don't know why I had to adjust the height so much, and don't know why the car has dropped in the first place but I am very happy that the car could be adjusted to its correct height so easy!

I already made a test drive and the car even handles better then before! Especially the straight line stability is much better now the front is raised by 4 inches ( noticable from speeds of 55 mph and higher), and it looks a lot better too :)

All of you that have helped me with this isue: a big thank you and lots of kudo's!!

This is one great List!!

Have a nice weekend,

Robert
----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:01 PM

My shop has been able to make the correct adjustments to all of my
Imperials without damaging any parts. This seems to have more to do
with the skill level of the shop than the age of the car. I understand
that there may not be many shops in Europe that are familiar with a '60
Imperial. Still, there must be shops that specialize in front
suspension work. A good shop would look over the car, determine what
parts were needed, and then give you a list. They wouldn't take
anything apart (a tie up their space) until you came back with what was
required. I think a good shop could study the manual and figure out
your car.

Unless you are inclined to want to do this yourself, I think it is
worth looking for a GOOD shop that is willing to work on your car.

Paul W.