IML: The things we do for love

So today, in between heavy down pours, I visited the Dr. Mopar scrap yard in Niederwald - Dutch for Netherworld, I think - half way between Austin and Bastrop, a round trip of 150 miles from San Antonio. Although it was officially closed, the new owner allowed me to go scope his Imperials with the hope of finding a better steering wheel. I had to struggle through sun flowers and other brush ranging from chest to chin high to get to his remaining 58 Imperial only to find, as I suspected even before I left the house, that it was in worse condition than my own. Fortunately the bugs were not out yet, so apart from a few scratches I am not much the worse for wear for the experience.

Here, in passing, is a sad story. The 58 he had was originally located at another scrap yard near Waco, Texas. It was acquired by th owner as a fairly decent runner, albeit one that would need some work. Sight unseen it was purchased by a guy from Florida. I had spoken with the scrap yard about the vehicle a few days earlier, having been alerted to its presence by a sharp eyed member of my local Mopar club, who was there to get something for his car. The guy said it was too good a vehicle to take parts from, and as I wasn't looking for anything specific I let it go, but gave him my number in case something changed. The guy from Florida, or his representatives, showed up with a wrecker, took the Imperial away, ripped out the engine, gave him back the car for nothing and took off, with 392 Hemi, with a view to stuffing it into something like a Barracuda or some such. The scrap yard owner then called me but, I didn't need anything at that time, or so I thought. I would know better now. The car ended up at Dr. Mopar and I subsequently bought the hood but the car is all but useless now.

I am having no luck with the steering wheel on my 58. I have called the usual people one would and, there not being much of a demand for said item, no one ever pulled a steering wheel off of one for better storage and the few that are out there are as shot as mine. Even the one restorer who bothered to reply said they could not do it. It is an interesting if disquieting conundrum.

Hugh Hemphill
58 Imperial
San Antonio, Texas