Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:23 AM
Subject: IML: The Moment of Truth

I bought my 57 about a month ago. The story went like this.

"For sale, low mileage 1957 Imperial complete with original 392 Hemi. Was running when parked some years ago."

OK so I bit hard after succumbing to some serious Hemi Fever. I wasn't delirious, but I did pay. After a 4 hour long drive to go pick it up and a very arduous time (four flats) getting it onto the trailer I had it. And then I brought my prize home.

So it did indeed appear that it actually could be what it had said it was. I am somewhat observant and noticed the following which seem to support the advertised description.

Odometer -- 54,538
Brake and Accelerator pedals have almost no wear
Original upholstery - slightly worn, but cooked by the Texas sun
Battery - charged fine, and holding
A/C Compressor, Power Steering, Water Pump and Generator all spin nicely and all have good belts.

After soaking the tops of the cylinders for nearly a month with Marvel Mystery Oil, today was the day. The day to try and see if the engine could be turn over by hand.

OK, so drum roll please...

Tada! The 392 turns over smooth and sweet by hand with good strong compression. Yes I know it's probably not all that spectacular or miraculous. And of course I certainly could encounter some unpleasant surprises when I do try to fire it up. So far though I am quite pleased.

I'd like to hear from others that have awakened slumbering giants like my 392 what measures they employed. I do plan on trying to clean as much gum and varnish out as I can. I don't intend to remove or overhaul the motor. At least not at this point. So if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm sure there are a few good tricks out there to deal with long dry seals and other hazards associated with extended periods of inactivity.

regards,
Dave
1957 Custom Southampton 4 Door
1958 Sedan