From: Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 9:52 am
Subject: IML: Removing rear drums 55-62 model Imperials

I am not sure about 63 and up Imperials. From '63 up they were using a newer Bendix rear drum brake design that incorporated the parking brake in the rear
service brake design (self adjusting too).

These older Imperials had rear drums that do indeed require the use of a really good quality drum puller. I tried to help a friend years ago who had a '61 Le Baron remove the rear drums on his car using a J.C .Whitney puller. What a mistake! The screw of the puller damaged the end of the axle and the drum retaining nut on the end of the axle. We were using a large adjustable wrench to turn the square headed bolt on the Whitney puller. We had a 6 ft. extension handle on the wrench and were jumping up and down on it and never got the drums off. In the process the jaws of the adjustable wrench broke apart. The wrench had to be thrown away. I still have the puller, but would never use it again on
an Imperial!

My friend later learned that another method was to not only use the better quality pullers, such as a Snap-On Tool model, but to loosen the large nuts on the ends of the rear axle some, then drive the car around while applying the brakes and turning corners to warm up and loosen the drum(s). Apply penetrating oil to the mating surface where the drum comes off of the axle assembly. Rust build-up only makes matters worse. It would be interesting if some of us could measure the ft. lbs. of torque required to successfully remove the rear drums on these cars. We could then compare measurements and see what the required
average force is.

One possible safety precaution would be to put sandbags around the drum, axle end and puller to catch any flying pieces if something should fail. Use a known good quality hardened 6-point socket and 3/4 inch rachet on the puller bolt head. When parts and tools are under stress they can fail suddenly. That was why I took my '62 to a Chrysler dealer to have the rear brakes worked on. It turned out to be a bad experience, since the job was not done correctly. Please
work as safely as you possibly can.

Joe S.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane