Re: IML: 1960 LeBaron on e-bay

From: "Lupe Rodriguez" <lupee@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: AW: 1960 LeBaron on E-Bay

Ok Deitmar,
Then why is it that no one is willing to pay even $5,000 for
my 64 Imperial Crown coupe which is in nearly as good
condition as the 60 LeBaron? I hesitate to mention how much
I have plowed into my piece of art. Suffice to say that it
is much more than 5 grand.
Lupe

I don't know if that LeBaron is worth $35K or not, but it might be to someone. I have no real ability to judge - cars with pricetags like that are so far out of my league the I might as well be talking about a private helicopter. I've never paid more than $6500 for a car (though I've put plenty more than that 'into' them), and I doubt I'll ever spend much more than that, unless my means change enormously in some odd happenstance.

The hobby seems broadly divided into two generalisations, to me. One segment is composed of people with lots of money, who want to buy perfect, show-quality cars, and money isn't much of an object to them if it's the car they want. Most of these folks don't drive the cars much, but they preserve the heck out of them - I kind of think of them like private museums. The other segment may or may not have a lot of cash, but are much more willing (or desiring) to buy a car that isn't perfect and fix it up as neccessary. These folks often aren't looking for a specific car, with specific options, and tend to drive them a lot more. The second group seems a lot more particular about price, because they figure they can wait until a somewhat less perfect example comes along at a small fraction of the price, and that'll be okay.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want that particular car, how much you can afford, and whether you think you'll have another chance.

  -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT (spending some time in mothballs)