From: YBSHORE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 5:34 am
Subject: IML: '56 Steering Gear Leak

Imperialist's:

    I have been chasing a P/S leak for some time now -nuisance more than anything- I had the pump rebuilt and it operates beautifully, I have retorqued every mounting/set bolt on the unit, used my dental mirror to look in the hard to see spots where it could be leaking, but always no visible sign, anywhere, through the new black paint, which is NOT peeling anywhere which I was hoping would help identify the problem, and always there would be a leak which runs down to my manifold covers and eventually onto my exhaust, and the nearest I could determine from the pump from the top is I there is a hairline fracture possibly in the casting: does this sound reasonable?  The face of the P/S mounts directly to the generator, and the only gasket is the reservoir to pump which is not an area of leaking, everything else is tight...........

    Secondly, in having her up in the air and me on my back this fine Sunday New England morning I also found that where my steering gear arm attaches to the steering gear box, there is a slight leak from behind the insert clip where they mate.  What would be the fix for this?  Is there a kit, gasket failure or is there a way to 'adjust' that?

Thanks as Always,

Jack

1956 Imperial

See what's free at AOL.com.