RE: IML: Dealer won't work on a '90s Imperial

Well thats shame, as even here in the uk we have grease monkeys that just love it when yer pull up with a ol' gal, just to get to tinker with that v8-   i know ye all talking bout main dealers service mind ,an can agree with yer that by enlage cars past 5 years they turn up there noses ! - its all about $$$£££ - so viva la grease monkey and long may they reign !

 steve.

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: Dealer won't work on a '90s Imperial
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:03:45 +0000

Ken, I can buy some of that, and I'm sure the automotive business is different from my marine business, but I still service 30-40 year old Volvo Penta Product, as well as the latest all electronic diesels, for these we use an HP 5500 hand held PC. What it boils down to, is a lack of product support, or the desire to.Fortunately, the marine business hasn't adopted the automotive thinking (yet). With car dealers selling batteries, shocks, tires etc, just to improve their bottom line, a point type tune-up should be a no brainer.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: Ken Lang <imperialken@xxxxxxxxx>

To the best of my knowledge the U.S. automakers stop making replacement parts after 10 years.   For them to work on something older means they will probably spend more time tracking down parts.  It also means your car has the potential to sit in their yard longer while waiting for those parts to arrive.

Also, each dealership?s service writers know the capability of their current staff of mechanics.  If their oldest mechanic is under 30 years of age, he?s probably never worked on a car with points.  Again it boils down to time and money.  It?s not that the young mechanic is not smart enough to figure out how to repair your Imperial.  The dealership is not willing to spend to time and money for him to go through the learning curve for a one time repair.  It has nothing to do Chrysler China.  It has to do with economics.

Ken

67 Crown 4 Dr Ht

68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht