Re: IML: Dome Light 58 Imperial

Another listee described how to remove the lens. If that is as far as you need to get then read no further. If you need to remove the dome light housing then this is what I found on my 58 sedan. YMMV on other models.

The dome light housing is mounted into a flat metal plate by means of a large clip. The metal plate is attached along its forward (towards the front of the car) edge to a transverse roof bow. The plate has a hole in the middle of it which the dome light housing snaps into. The clip which fastens the dome light into this hole is shaped like a rectangle with one of the long sides gone. Or like the letter E with the middle leg missing. At the end of each of the short legs is a small detent. The clip is mounted to the back of the dome light housing along the long leg with the short legs pointing up (towards the roof). The detent on each of the short legs engages the inside edge of the hole in the flat metal plate.

So hopefully that long and tedious description will make the removal procedure easier and more apparent. Here's how I did it on my sedan.

Grasp the leading edge of the dome light housing and pull down gently. Insert a narrow flat bladed screwdriver into the gap between the front of the dome light housing and the headliner. Note: be careful not to damage the switch which is in the same general vicinity of where you need to insert the screwdriver. While continuing to pull down gently on the leading edge of the dome light housing, push the front leg of the clip gently with the screwdriver towards the rear of the car. This will disengage the detent on the clip. The housing will now drop out nicely.

best of luck,
Dave

wardle65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
How do you remove the dome light on a 58 Imperial. I do not want to break
it getting it off.

Stupid question but any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards
Chris
1958 Imp Crown Coupe