IML: Broken hood latch cable

Jim;

I wish you still lived in the Dallas area.  I have a long skinny screwdriver that would probably be ideal for the task.  Maybe the suggestion about finding someone with long skinny arms would be a good idea if you can't find a suitable screwdriver.  You might get someone to push a long straight wire through the grill while watching from below to see how long a screwdriver would be needed.  If a yardstick would be long enough and slender enough to fit through the grill opening that may be a good choice.  The screwdriver I have has a shaft that is 9 7/8" long and was made for TV service work.  If that is long enough, you might look for one (Xcelite was the vendor).  Check to see if a metal working shop in your area might have a piece of trimmed brass or steel that would be stiff enough and long enough to do the job.  That way it might not cost you anything.

When it comes time to replace the cable, look for hood releases for the big 18 wheeler trucks.  Many of them are long enough and can be trimmed to length to fit our cars.  That is what was done on my car long before I acquired it.  If the cable has a crimped end that has come loose, it might be possible to find pieces to repair the end.  Good luck.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937