RE: IML: 69 Lebaron brakes pulling

I’m not a brake expert, but the run out measurements seem fine to me – I certainly would not suspect that amount of run-out to cause a problem.  I do notice that you don’t mention changing the brake hoses – and those can certainly cause a brake to fail to release completely.   They seldom fail by bursting, they do very often fail by developing blockage which does not affect the application of brakes (the pressure is so high that it blasts through any restriction) but the blockage will prevent the brake from releasing completely (much less pressure in that direction).    This has come up before on the IML – and it is repeated here – always replace all 3 (yes, 3) brake hoses when you do any brake work – it’s cheap insurance against this sort of problem.

Dick Benjamin

Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:34 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 69 Lebaron brakes pulling

I recently replaced the entire braking system on my 69 LeBaron Coupe. Yesterday was my first chance to drive the car.

This is always an exciting proposition after major brake works has been done, even if you are sure that everything was done correctly.

Everything looked good and worked great. The car stopped well and the pedal feel was firm and high up. The only problem is that the car pulls to the left.

I replaced the master cylinder all wheel cylinders (CalipersOnline calipers at front), pads, shoes and front rotors (Dura Brake).

After I had completed the assembly I checked the run out of the rotors. The DS was 0.007" and the PS was 0.003" and the DS front wheel is noticeably more difficult to turn than the PS front wheel. Is this causing the pulling?

If so it seems that the remedy is to have my brand new rotors turned to make them more true.  Not what I had anticipated!

Fred Joslin