IML: Holes in sheet metal inside trunk

My '62 has a number of circular holes in the sheet metal lip on the inside of the trunk on either side of the stationary trunk latch plate.  This piece of sheet metal is vertical to the trunk floor and runs a good part of the distance from side to side.  The holes range from 3/4" to 1 3/4" and one is somewhat oval at 2 1/4 X 1 3/4" in size.

My question for the group is should these holes be plugged with plastic plugs?  I have seen this done on other Mopars, but not sure about this far back.  Most of the plastic plugs seem to be made of black nylon plastic and snap in position.

Normally these are covered up by a cardboard trim panel inside the trunk.  The holes are most likely used for installing the "IMPERIAL" lettering on the rear outside sheet metal.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937