Re: IML: Convertible top mechanism - 1966

Re: IML: Convertible top mechanism - 1966

===========================
1.  Pump IS under the top-well cover against the rear
seat-back?  Phillips heads securing the covt top
"well" are rusted and funky and I don't want to tear
them up if I don't have to.  They resisted casual
removal and I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Pull the back seat out. Easiest way to get to it. You can also pull the side panels for a somewhat better view of the cylinders and lines to check for leaks. The normal problem is the seal at the end of the hydraulic cylinder. That seal fails and all the fluid leaks out. If the system is low on fluid you can hear the problem listening to the pump motor. Unfortunatley you have to replace the hundred dollar cylinder to get that ten cent seal. It takes a bit of effort to bleed the system as a lot of air gets trapped in the cylinders and you have to run the top up and down to bleed it out withough running the pump back out of fluid. Don't energize the pump with the fill port open! Trust me on this one.

2.  If the pupm reservoir is low/dry, that means it
leaked.  What are the weak points?  Anything I should
expect, like having to redo lines or something?

Almost always those seals in the end of the pistons. See how bad they leak before you decide to replace it all. I have seen some that just weep a drop or two and have lasted a long time before getting bad enough to have to be replaced.

3.  Are these parts a rehab sort of thing?  A search
of the Archives reveals Hydro Electric's website and I
saw abut $500 in parts for pump and pistons.  Presume
that they charge for lines too (I would), so guess
that's $600.

He has the best stuff around. If the pump runs it is probably still good (though I have seen a couple full of crystalized fluid that ended up being replaced.

-Should I presume that things just need replacement,
or can I pound on something with a hammer and wave my
hands and save money?  If the thing's leaking, maybe
the pump is OK and providing the pressure to evacuate
the fluid out the hole wherever that is?

Bleed it first and see how bad it leaks. Hopefully you can get by with just new cylinders.