Re: IML: Convertible top mechanism - 1966

Re: IML: Convertible top mechanism - 1966

kenyon, my 54 windsor has the same set-up. the car sat for 20 years and the brake fluid in the cannister leaked out into the electric motor. i took it all apart and cleaned it all, polished up the commutator and brushes and re-filled it. it has worked fine since. yours sounds like it needs fluid so you will have to get to it and check. you may be able to get to the reservoir through the trunk but it it more accessible through the back seat. fell free to email me  at captden30@xxxxxxx and i can fill you in on all the little details that can help you out. having the power top working is part of owning a convertible. worst case you can disconnect the pistons and use it manually but i don't thinl that is necessary. when i got my car it didn't work at all so you are ahead of that.  dennis

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The convertible top on the 66, which sat dormant in
the UP position for many years functions electrically,
but has become progressively degraded over the first
15 use cycles to the point where it is pretty much
manual with the lift mechanism meaning well but not
really helping much.

I have not dealt with one and seek advice from anyone
that has directly worked on one.

It is my understanding that there is a small, soda-can
sized pump in the center rear of the seatback under
the covered well that the top drops into.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the cylinder
is horizontal and that more fluid is added from the
side until it is topped off.

Questions:
===========================
1. Pump IS under the top-well cover against the rear
seat-back? Phillips heads securing the covt top
"well" are rusted and funky and I don't want to tear
them up if I don't have to. They resisted casual
removal and I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Shall I presume that I'll have to wake those dogs up
to get that area apart for inspection?

2. If the pupm reservoir is low/dry, that means it
leaked. What are the weak points? Anything I should
expect, like having to redo lines or something?

3. Are these parts a rehab sort of thing? A search
of the Archives reveals Hydro Electric's website and I
saw abut $500 in parts for pump and pistons. Presume
that they charge for lines too (I would), so guess
that's $600.

-Should I presume that things just need replacement,
or can I pound on something with a hammer and wave my
hands and save money? If the thing's leaking, maybe
the pump is OK and providing the pressure to evacuate
the fluid out the hole wherever that is?

Thanks in advance - I have not worked on a convertible before.

Kenyon Wills