Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:22 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: '72 Dipping Ammeter - resolved

Ken Lang came over this AM and after extensive groping
UNDER the dash to try to put hands on the clicking
relay/circuit breaker, we figured out that the problem
was bolted to the firewall.

The windsheild-wiper motor was the culprit.

Process taken was to run the car, heat up the
offending item, turn car off with ignition (and
current) still on, and start listening/probing for the
item that was clicking.  After not finding it, Ken
noticed that the wiper switch was at 1 instead of 0,
and toggled it.  No response from the wipers, but a
big jump on the needle!   There you go!!!

That is now disconnected and the car runs correctly.

THANKS TO ALL THAT SPENT TIME THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR
ME!!!!

-Kenyon

--- Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kenyon;
>
> I looked up the connections to/from the instrument
> panel on the '73 line and suspect that the '72 is
> the same or very similar.  It shows that the ammeter
> leads pass through the bulkhead connector.  Since
> all the power for ignition and many other items go
> through these leads, they are highly suspect.  If
> you do not hear any circuit breakers clicking on and
> off using the engine-off condition, then a really
> close look at the bulkhead connector is in order.
> Here is what the '73 service manual shows:
>
> 1) Dk. Blu.  Electric Fuel Pump (Carline Y)  [might
> cause fuel pressure to be intermittent.]
>
> 9) Dk. Blu  Fusible Link (Red on Instrument Panel
> side; + feed to fuse terminal assembly).
>
> 13) Dk. Blu  (Red on Instrument Panel side;  feed to
> steering column).
>
> 16) Blk.  Ammeter (carline Y)
>
> 25) Red   Ammeter (carline Y)
>
> I owned a '73 New Yorker Brougham for a number of
> years and the bulkhead connector in that car gave
> multiple problems over a period of years.  The
> separate connectors have nylon contact housings for
> the engine-side wiring with latches made of the same
> material.  The heat of the engine compartment cooks
> the plastic and makes it brittle.  Disconnecting
> them tends to make them break and after that they
> will not stay plugged on securely.  This leads to
> many intermittent electrical system problems.
>
> Of special concern is the fact that the ammeter
> leads pass through contacts in the bulkhead
> connector.  On the New Yorker Brougham I had these
> had become corroded and had been overheated
> (probably due to the corrosion).  I ultimately had
> to run new leads through a rubber grommet I
> installed to/from the ammeter.  Basically, the new
> leads I ran went directly to the ammeter without
> going through the bulkhead connector.  That
> eliminated intermittent loss of power and ignition
> in the New Yorker.
>
> >From '69 and up Chrysler used these bulkhead
> connectors and they are especially prone to problems
> in the ammeter circuit.  If you see green corrosion
> on the ammeter connections at the bulkhead, or if
> the plastic housing for the contacts has turned
> brown around the ammeter leads, you should either
> bypass those contacts in your bulkhead connector by
> running new leads like I did or else invest in a new
> set of engine compartment wiring harnesses and
> possibly the instrument panel harness too.  Both
> would be major tasks to carry out.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joseph W. Strickland
> 1021 Vaughan Lane