Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:09 AM
Subject: IML: Dipping Ammeter - 1972

The 72 is becoming more complete and I am driving it
regularly now, so I am in the process of sorting it.

Car has a new battery, rebuilt alternator, and new
(solid state, stock) voltage regulator.  Wires seem
OK, although they are originals.

The socket where the loom goes into the firewall was
cleaned with contact cleaner and solidly re-attached
(or so I think).

Problem:

The ammeter dips regularly.  When it does so, the
voltage drop is bad enough to stall the engine or at
least make it stumble.  Killed the engine a few times.

This engine stumble symptom is when the car is at idle
and the alternator is presumably putting out less
current or the engine does not have the momentum to
keep going.  Above-idle driving is not obviously
affected by the dipping, although it is still present
on the gauge at the same rate.

The dipping is displayed on the ammeter as the needle
moving 15% down from a slight C to a slight D, almost
like when the turn signal is applied on the older
cars.

The frequency is consistent for the most part, and
happens perhaps every 30 seconds or so.  Maybe more,
maybe less, but in other words it is repetetive but
not so frequent that it seems tied to anything in the
engine, as it is not affected by engine speed in any
way - it's just more obvious when RPM is down.

Also:  When lights are on at night, the lighting also
dips concurrent to these pulses.

It is not present when engine is off, so far as I
know.

Did I mention that I dislike electrical stuff more
than anything else?

1.  How do I trace this or figure out why it's funky?

2.  Sound familiar to anyone?

Kenyon Wills