Skickat: den 13 augusti 2007 22:41
Till: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ämne: IML: '62 Identifying Brake Shoes

According to the '62 parts manual there are two different shoes used
depending on whether it is a leading or forward shoe or a following or rear
shoe.  The part numbers are the same for either front or rear wheel
application.  The part numbers shown are:

Front and Rear Wheel, Front Shoe, 12" Brakes, SY1 = 1857 063
Front and Rear Wheel, Rear  Shoe, 12" Brakes, SY1 = 2200 122.

The question is, how do you tell them apart?  In looking at what came off of
my car the only difference I can see is that the brake friction material is
slightly offset on two of them compared to the others (about 1/2").  The
length of friction material is identical. Since I do not have replacements
in hand yet I am wondering if it is possible that I have two shoes that were
wrong to start with.

NAPA was not able to supply the shoes after all.  It looks like Andy
Bernbaum will have to be the supplier of last resort.  He only shows one
part number for Shoe & Lining assembly set, P/N G119.  That part number must
be his own part number.  The years that part number covers is '59 through
'62 if his website catalog is correct.

Before I put any replacement shoes on the car I would like to be able to
identify which is the forward (leading) shoe and which is the rear
(following) shoe.

Joseph W. Strickland
1021 Vaughan Lane
Tioga, TX 76271-2937