From: Daniel Richardson <TheRichardsonFamily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:05 pm
Subject: Re: IML: 69 heat riser revisited

I can put my own questions to rest finally on MY heat riser.  Thank you Fred, Paul, Dave and others who have offered what they knew.

I went out to my '67 Imperial motor today.  I believe mine is missing the spring mechanism, the anti-rattle spring, and who knows what else.  Anyway, I have dual exhausts on my car, fired her up, and moved the heat riser in both directions & then checked at the passenger side tailpipe.

Definitely a noticeable difference - (looking at the manifold from the passenger's fender) with the heat riser turned clockwise / forward - a noticeable increase in sound and exhaust.  Turned counterclockwise / towards the rear - a definite reduction in sound & exhaust.

To throw one last bit of info in there - I checked a Mopar exhaust manifold in my Mom's basement and the heat riser was mounted in front of the head pipe - not alongside it as is on my '67 440.  Not sure if that has any significance, or if that was even a big block manifold - it was an arched "magnum" type manifold, though..

Anyway, my problem / question is solved, and it agrees with Dave's input.  Perhaps Fred & Paul's '69s are different?  Or who knows what manifold is actually on my '67?

Thanks again for everyone's input on this repeated question.

Dan Richardson

300L Family Heirloom