Re: IML: When is it original?

Well,

There is only one correct use of the term "original" as it applies to
collector cars.

It most always applies only to unrestored #1 condition cars.
Because unrestored #1 cars are not driven, have very low miles, have
been taken care of like the artwork they are and at most have had wear
items replaced.

That said a car is only "original" once.
A restored car can not, by definition, be original.
It can be "restored to correct original condition, but that denotes
that it is NOT "original"

The term "original" is applied incorrectly to restored #1 or #2 cars
but is not accurate or even considered as a more than sales hype when
determining valuation.

I once appraised a genuine "original" in #5 condition,
1500 miles, parked in a factory warehouse when less than one year old.
Everything was factory original and I mean everything, tires, battery,
oil. All those things were shot, but original.

About a year ago I went to do an appraisal on an Imperial for a client.

The car was listed as a "completely original" #1 condition and was
priced as such.

My appraisal was made easy by the owners documents which stated,
and I somewhat paraphrase;
"....This extremely well cared for example of a 19xx Imperial has had 3
attentive owners who have meticulously maintained this remarkable
automobile.
Taken to the finest facilities where it's care was preformed by their
top technicians.
While preforming the frame off restoration the entire drive train was
rebuilt, re-manufactured actually, to current state of the art
machining standards.
During this rebirth the entire interior was renewed using factory
correct leather stitched with modern materials to avoid the issues of
the period products it replaced......"

It went on and on like this.

When I was done the only major parts that were original were the frame,
most of the sheet metal, gages, trim, drive train castings and the
bumpers but they were re-chromed incorrectly.

Now the car was very nice and in #1 condition, no question, but NOT at
all original.

I took exception to that term, so did my client who then presented a
more realistic, albeit lower dollar value, which was ultimately
accepted.

In all my years appraising, restoring, servicing and dealing in
classics I have seen only a few genuine originals.

The rule is "Caveat Emptor"

My .02

Thanks,
Cruiser

www.cruisersclassics.com

  Always looking for old cars, motorcycles, NOS parts, and related stuff.