sutton
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:07 AM
To: RODGER D. REDDISH; mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 62 torqueflite rebuild parts

Rodger, and anyone else interested-

The 62 and newer torqueflites - up to the later 70s when lockup
converters
and other such things came along - are about 99 44/100ths percent
compatible
and interchangeable as far as things like rebuild parts go. I am not
surprised that NAPA couldnt help, its not their fault, its just that
most
parts stores just dont do enough volume of those to justify it anymore.
Things like the clutch pack discs and friction material, gaskets, o
rings,
seals, are extremely compatible across the torqueflite.

I went to a local rebuilder and got an ATRA rebuild guide - very
inexpensive
and a great piece of reference material - and a copy of MOTORS automatic

trans manual and thats really all one needs.  If you can find a local
rebuilder you can probably find kits for the parts. I would highly
recommend
replacing things like the front pump bushings, the thrust washers in the

transmission, all the seals and o rings, and the friction material. You
must
measure the endplay of the input shaft before you take it apart, and get
large enough work area to lay it out like an exploded view.

If you just want to take it to a rebuilder, they should be able to find
the
parts but they will probably want to mark them up a bit.  Last time I
bought
a full kit and a few of the small things that arent usually included, it
set
me back about $200.  I dont think the prices should have increased that
much, since there are literally millions of these transmissions in
service.

As far as spec'ing out a HD or Load Flite type of spec, the only real
differences in these things are the number of clutch discs, return
springs
and the governor shift points.  The 440 six pack and hemi cars got the
most
clutch packs and heaviest springs. You can specify that to a rebuilder
or
you can get a TRANSGO TF1 or TF2 kit..I forget which...and have that
done as
well.

Hope this helps

Mikey